Know Thyself
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Know Thyself

Nothing in Excess

HomePortalSearchRegisterLog in

(Video, Board, Card,..) Games People Play

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12  Next
AuthorMessage
Jarno

Jarno

(Video, Board, Card,..) Games People Play - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: (Video, Board, Card,..) Games People Play (Video, Board, Card,..) Games People Play - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 18, 2016 8:09 am

My power source just "blew up" on sunday morning, triggered a circuit breaker and lights went off. Got a new one and luckily it didn't damage my PC.
Back to top Go down
Satyr
Daemon
Satyr

PostSubject: Re: (Video, Board, Card,..) Games People Play (Video, Board, Card,..) Games People Play - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 18, 2016 8:46 am

Jarno wrote:
My power source just "blew up" on sunday morning, triggered a circuit breaker and lights went off. Got a new one and luckily it didn't damage my PC.
Wow!!

Anfang wrote:
Also, don't forget to keep an eye on your enemy, you want to try and have your key buildings, like the blacksmith in the hinterland where they are not vulnerable to attacks from the enemy.

Enlarge this imageClick to see fullsize

Full production, no traffic jams.
Back in the day, I used to love playing these strategy games.

http://satyr-s-sanatorium.forumotion.com/
Dr.Rorschach

Dr.Rorschach

PostSubject: Re: (Video, Board, Card,..) Games People Play (Video, Board, Card,..) Games People Play - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 18, 2016 11:31 pm

Back to top Go down
Forked Path

PostSubject: Re: (Video, Board, Card,..) Games People Play (Video, Board, Card,..) Games People Play - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 19, 2016 6:11 am

Might and Magic VI, VII, VIII
Heroes of Might and Magic III
Caesar III
Dungeon Keeper I
Alone in the Dark (orig.)
Titan Quest Immortal Throne
Eric The Unready
The Mummy
Risk
Resident Evil
Text Parser Games (reminiscing and will probably get drawn back in to those worlds)
Back to top Go down
OhFortunae

OhFortunae

PostSubject: Re: (Video, Board, Card,..) Games People Play (Video, Board, Card,..) Games People Play - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 19, 2016 11:47 am

I remember to play a lot of 'Risk' with my family, with whatever side of the family we were; Sweden, Belgium, the Netherlands, with family friends - especially in the wooden house with the nice atmosphere in Sweden. It always got heated up in me, the excitement of conquering, thinking about which steps to take and utterly crush the opponements - or to simply delay as long as possible my defeat and try to make it as hard as possible for the other(s) to wipe me out.
It was my introduction to the world's geography and borders and strategic thinking.

And struck thy sword to my heart."

2. "The Noble Hart | my name, and I go
A motherless man abroad;
Father I had not, | as others have,
And lonely ever I live."
Back to top Go down
https://plus.google.com/u/0/109705167311303906720/posts
Jarno

Jarno

PostSubject: Re: (Video, Board, Card,..) Games People Play (Video, Board, Card,..) Games People Play - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 22, 2016 7:21 am

This is the track where Niki Lauda almost died

Quote :
Lauda left a permanent mark on Nürburgring by becoming the first and only driver to ever complete a lap on the Nordschleife route in under 7 minutes—at a time when Nordschleife was 2 miles longer than its current configuration.

I need to get a wheel/gear and pedals someday, you can really feel the road with a good wheel.

Back in the day you really had to know how to drive
Back to top Go down
Forked Path

PostSubject: Re: (Video, Board, Card,..) Games People Play (Video, Board, Card,..) Games People Play - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 26, 2016 5:38 pm

Any game programmers needing suggestions for a new game?
Back to top Go down
Anfang

Anfang

PostSubject: Re: (Video, Board, Card,..) Games People Play (Video, Board, Card,..) Games People Play - Page 2 EmptyMon May 09, 2016 7:22 pm

The Secret of Monkey Island (1990)

Point and Click Adventure

(Video, Board, Card,..) Games People Play - Page 2 Secret-of-monkey-island

In this game you play as Guybrush Threepwood who wants to become a pirate.
As you make your way through three trials which you have to master to be accepted as a pirate you cross paths with the ghost pirate LeChuck. He wants to marry the local Governor Elaine Marley who also happens to have become the love interest of Guybrush just before she gets kidnapped by the ghostly LeChuck and taken to Monkey Island. So it's time to put a crew together and go on a rescue mission.

The Secret of Monkey Island was inspired by the famous theme park ride in Disney Land. Many years after the game they wanted to make a movie about the game which got rejected by studios.
So we have this young adventurer who must rescue his love interest, who happens to be the daughter of a Governor on a Caribbean island, from a ghost pirate who has kidnapped her with his ghost pirate ship and ghost pirate crew.

..Two years later Pirates of the Caribbean was released in the cinemas.
When you look at the artwork, they depict pretty much all the ingredients of the first two PoC movies, even comical cannibals.

Last edited by Anfang on Tue May 10, 2016 9:43 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Jarno

Jarno

PostSubject: Re: (Video, Board, Card,..) Games People Play (Video, Board, Card,..) Games People Play - Page 2 EmptyTue May 10, 2016 9:33 am

I really liked 1-3, I know very few people who have played MI 3.

Lucas Arts has many good adventure games.

Quote :
Grim Fandango's world combines elements of the Aztec belief of afterlife with style aspects of film noir, including The Maltese Falcon, On the Waterfront and Casablanca, to create the Land of the Dead, through which recently departed souls, represented in the game as calaca-like figures, must travel before they reach their final destination, the Ninth Underworld. The story follows travel agent Manuel "Manny" Calavera as he attempts to save Mercedes "Meche" Colomar, a newly arrived but virtuous soul, during her long journey.
Back to top Go down
Anfang

Anfang

PostSubject: Re: (Video, Board, Card,..) Games People Play (Video, Board, Card,..) Games People Play - Page 2 EmptyTue May 10, 2016 10:03 am

Jarno wrote:
I really liked 1-3, I know very few people who have played MI 3.

Lucas Arts has many good adventure games.

Quote :
Grim Fandango's world combines elements of the Aztec belief of afterlife with style aspects of film noir, including The Maltese Falcon, On the Waterfront and Casablanca, to create the Land of the Dead, through which recently departed souls, represented in the game as calaca-like figures, must travel before they reach their final destination, the Ninth Underworld. The story follows travel agent Manuel "Manny" Calavera as he attempts to save Mercedes "Meche" Colomar, a newly arrived but virtuous soul, during her long journey.

I played Monkey Island 1 around the time when it came out. I still think it's the best MI game.
Monkey Island 3 comes in at second place. Monkey Island 4 I haven't played much so I can't say for sure where I would put it.

Monkey Island 2 I played actually quite recently for the first time, with the help of a guide at some passages and while I really like the first part, the first island, it kind of falls apart later on.
I didn't like the addition of modern elements like telephone booths, a modern FedEx crew which transports you in a crate and the end.

But besides that the puzzles were at times not very well designed. In particular the monkey wrench puzzle. - You have to hypnotise a monkey with a banana who is playing the piano by putting a banana on a metronome. Okay I guess, but then you take this monkey with you so that you can use him in his frozen position as a 'monkey wrench' on some valve which needs to be turned on.
Really? That's a kind of puzzle I don't like in such games because it's basically a pun, a word-type puzzle which breaks the immersion with the environment. Because it breaks the in-game logic where most things which you do might be a bit over the top but do make sense in the game-world.

Also Elaine is turned into this somewhat feminist type kind of bitch. She is not very likeable and the player has to make himself into a doofus to get on with the plot. They give you dialogue options but you have to use the ones which are self-demeaning to get on with it.
Back to top Go down
Jarno

Jarno

PostSubject: Re: (Video, Board, Card,..) Games People Play (Video, Board, Card,..) Games People Play - Page 2 EmptyTue May 10, 2016 10:21 am

Exactly my thoughts, MI 2 is great in the beginning, but after going to the jungle I lost interest.

Yeah, I think they take the self-demeaning humour too far, especially in tales of monkey islands which is why I don't play them. It would have been a better direction if Guybrush actually had become something great after being a rookie, like the intro music is very heroic sounding instead they just keep making the main character more ridiculous and cowardly.
Back to top Go down
Anfang

Anfang

PostSubject: Re: (Video, Board, Card,..) Games People Play (Video, Board, Card,..) Games People Play - Page 2 EmptyTue May 10, 2016 10:43 am

In Monkey Island 1 Guybrush makes light of himself but he's pretty much always the smartest cookie in the room. He might not have much experience but he has potential, he masters it and he gets the girl at the end.

In MI 2 Guybrush is this 'adorable loser' type and he relishes being that type and he seems to enjoy being it, being a doofus.

Also, MI 1 has some jokes which are not in your face, like the outlook of Melee Island who is blind. But from what I remember, he doesn't explicitly mention that he is blind, you just see it from how he behaves. Key here is that the word 'blind' is never mentioned, it is shown via other techniques, hinted at.
Back to top Go down
Jarno

Jarno

PostSubject: Re: (Video, Board, Card,..) Games People Play (Video, Board, Card,..) Games People Play - Page 2 EmptyMon May 16, 2016 8:24 am

Anfang wrote:
It's great!
I think this has in part also to do with the technology and the art-style.
The original game had a quite reduced color palette, the characters were very simple and so they could pass as place holders for something more realistic. They left it over to the imagination of the player.
Then the graphics improved a bit and more details became visible, it became more cartoony, not only in art-style but also in the story and characters. Day of the Tentacle is the most extreme form of that pixel cartoonish style and I think that's why I never felt like wanting to play it.
I like the art-style of MI 3 much more. It's cartoonish as well but it's somehow very different. Much better aesthetics somehow, especially compared to a Day of the Tentacle which looks plain ugly to me - a sort of clownish composition.

There are so much small details, like the architecture, It's almost like Mêlée Island is colonized by Germans/French. EDIT: I don't know what those button pants that Guybrush is wearing are called, but I call them settler clothes.
(Video, Board, Card,..) Games People Play - Page 2 Monkey-island-in-real-life

I liked all the cannons and the ruins of these abandoned forts, it did really capture my imagination back then
(Video, Board, Card,..) Games People Play - Page 2 Scummvm02659
(Video, Board, Card,..) Games People Play - Page 2 Latest?cb=20150221004000

Last edited by Jarno on Mon May 16, 2016 9:02 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Jarno

Jarno

PostSubject: Re: (Video, Board, Card,..) Games People Play (Video, Board, Card,..) Games People Play - Page 2 EmptyMon May 16, 2016 8:46 am

Anfang wrote:
Also, MI 1 has some jokes which are not in your face, like the outlook of Melee Island who is blind. But from what I remember, he doesn't explicitly mention that he is blind, you just see it from how he behaves. Key here is that the word 'blind' is never mentioned, it is shown via other techniques, hinted at.

Yeah, light humour is great, you don't have to burst laughing at everything.

What I love the most are all the diverse personalities. Even all the minor/side characters are very funny personalities and memorable, which is something that is missing in modern games. Why can't they make/write personalities/characters anymore? It's almost like the entire mood/atmosphere of a location is reflected by the characters that reside there.
(Video, Board, Card,..) Games People Play - Page 2 Troll

Cannibal natives that became vegetarians
(Video, Board, Card,..) Games People Play - Page 2 Full20050121123827

Back to top Go down
Anfang

Anfang

PostSubject: Re: (Video, Board, Card,..) Games People Play (Video, Board, Card,..) Games People Play - Page 2 EmptyMon May 16, 2016 5:08 pm

Melee Island's architecture is quite continental European in style, especially the layout, true. Must be part of why it felt so familiar in a way. Also, there is only two black people on the whole island, one is the voodoo lady and the other the female 'sword' master. And both of them talk rather European as well, as in their personality.

Which is actually kind of bad, in general I mean. Because I think if especially young people would have been exposed to more honest and accurate depictions of blacks, they may would have been less euphoric about the outlook of being such an 'enlightened' and 'unbiased' person who doesn't care about the hue of the skin.

Herman Toothrot is hilarious.
I think the character which I liked best was the old shopkeeper on Melee Island. He has many similarities with Toothrot but less naive/crazy, more bitter.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: (Video, Board, Card,..) Games People Play (Video, Board, Card,..) Games People Play - Page 2 EmptyMon May 16, 2016 6:43 pm

Jarno wrote:
I've always hated MMORPG's with their microtransactions and monthly subscriptions, waste of money and time since once you get to certain level there is nothing to do and the story is always garbage which no one even has time read because you need to grind fast to max level...And MMORPG's are not well balanced so there are certain builds and classes that are way more powerful than others.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Powergaming

I don't think you even lose your inventory and weapons in PVP fights like for example in diablo 2 there is nothing at stake, in Tera online there is only 1 weapon for each class which is beyond retarded.

So I consider MMORPG's the decline of RPG's, cheap way to make money

1. You don't need a story (fluff/setting does not count as a story), and even if there is a mediocre story it's not very focused and you don't even give a shit about it while grinding your level.
2. Developers can extend the game by making few new quests and increasing max level $$$.
3. Not only buying the game is enough to play it, you have to pay monthly subscription to play it.
4. You can't get best items/enchants without microtransactions, pay to win
Ye, mmorgps are fast foods of gaming industry - simply creating their attractiveness and mass following by relying on triggering and taking advantage of primitive human responses, not actually creating any interesting content.
Back to top Go down
Satyr
Daemon
Satyr

PostSubject: Re: (Video, Board, Card,..) Games People Play (Video, Board, Card,..) Games People Play - Page 2 EmptyThu May 19, 2016 12:33 pm

Which console is better X-Box or PS-4?
Want to buy one for my son...if he gets between 95-100 on his exams.

Jarno

Jarno

PostSubject: Re: (Video, Board, Card,..) Games People Play (Video, Board, Card,..) Games People Play - Page 2 EmptyThu May 19, 2016 1:47 pm

I'd say PS4 even though I don't advocate consoles, Bloodborne/Dark Souls is good enough reason to get playstation and I don't think you can get MGS (Metal Gear Solid) for xbox.

I don't know how PS4 store works, but it might have a lot of fun indie games available that can be bought and downloaded so make sure you got online connection for the console, also for the possible online matches
Back to top Go down
Anfang

Anfang

PostSubject: Re: (Video, Board, Card,..) Games People Play (Video, Board, Card,..) Games People Play - Page 2 EmptyThu May 19, 2016 3:09 pm

If I were to buy a console now, I'd go with a PS4.
Hardware performance is better therefore the games tend to always look a bit sharper or play a bit smoother than on the Xbox One.
Target audience is a slightly more mature on PS4, with some of its titles.
Statistically it's more likely that his friends also have a PS4, which would be good for game swapping or playing online with/versus his friends.

Depending on the habits, I'd personally be okay with the 500 GB version which is usually cheaper than the 1TB versions. The difference is about convenience.

And

which is exclusive for PS4

And
Dark Souls 3 which is pretty much like Bloodborne.

Edit - Oh and some protective caps for the controller thumb sticks, rumor has it that the rubber wears and tears out rather quickly without them.
Back to top Go down
Jarno

Jarno

PostSubject: Re: (Video, Board, Card,..) Games People Play (Video, Board, Card,..) Games People Play - Page 2 EmptyFri May 20, 2016 7:03 am

I read that "The PS4 uses a "modified" HD 7870 AMD which is comparable to an NVidia GTX 580, 660 ". I heard that heavier games run at 900p 30fps and that lighter games at 1080p 60fps max on Xbox One.

I have GTX 960, 1080 is coming this year and also new AMD
(Video, Board, Card,..) Games People Play - Page 2 Screen12
Back to top Go down
Anfang

Anfang

PostSubject: Re: (Video, Board, Card,..) Games People Play (Video, Board, Card,..) Games People Play - Page 2 EmptyFri May 20, 2016 7:10 am

Rayman Legends is the best Jump'n'Run game on the PS4.
I played the predecessor at a friend's house and especially with two players it can be lots of fun.

Back to top Go down
Anfang

Anfang

PostSubject: Re: (Video, Board, Card,..) Games People Play (Video, Board, Card,..) Games People Play - Page 2 EmptyFri May 20, 2016 7:25 am

Jarno wrote:
I read that "The PS4 uses a "modified" HD 7870 AMD which is comparable to an NVidia GTX 580, 660 ". I heard that heavier games run at 900p 30fps and that lighter games at 1080p 60fps max on Xbox One.

On PS4 most major titles run at either 1080p or 900p  @30fps, depending on the graphical complexity.
Depending on the game, the Xbox One is usually a bit worse fps wise and dips more often below the 30fps or they run the game at 900p while it's 1080p on the PS4, or something equivalent.

Game library wise I'd recommend a PC for about 600$ with potentially a graphics card upgrade in a few years. Games are quite a lot cheaper on PC if bought, even zero if pirated but it's also a matter of convenience which is just less hassle on a console, usually.

I think a console is a good idea if you are looking to play relatively few games and you don't have the expertise, nor nerves, nor time to get familiar with PC gaming/the higher initial costs.

If you are looking to play strategy games then there is no way around a PC anyway.
Back to top Go down
Satyr
Daemon
Satyr

PostSubject: Re: (Video, Board, Card,..) Games People Play (Video, Board, Card,..) Games People Play - Page 2 EmptyFri May 20, 2016 7:30 am

I prefer the console for its ease and because it can double for a BlueRay player.
No possibility for Civilization-like games on PS4 or XBox?

Jarno

Jarno

PostSubject: Re: (Video, Board, Card,..) Games People Play (Video, Board, Card,..) Games People Play - Page 2 EmptyFri May 20, 2016 7:49 am

Nope, since it would be very inconvenient to play mouse games and strategy games with a controller, they'd have to dumb it down to make a port. I myself use Xbox controller for my PC if I need to play games designed for consoles and I buy all of my games for/from Steam since I have no CD drive.

This site for example sells Steam keys, if Steam itself doesn't have nothing you want on weekly sales Bundlestars have often very good discounts (30-90%).
https://www.bundlestars.com/en/

I stopped piracy maybe 2 years ago since Steam is so much more convenient.
Back to top Go down
Anfang

Anfang

PostSubject: Re: (Video, Board, Card,..) Games People Play (Video, Board, Card,..) Games People Play - Page 2 EmptyFri May 20, 2016 7:50 am

Satyr wrote:
I prefer the console for its ease and because it can double for a BlueRay player.
No possibility for Civilization-like games on PS4 or XBox?

I haven't seen any classic strategy games on the PS4 or Xbox in the vein of a Civilization, haven't seen any traditional strategy games at all on it, actually.

Most turn-based strategy games have rather low system requirements on a PC. And the better ones are usually a bit older as well.

Normal Blu-Ray discs should play find on a PS4, I think, but the new UHD-Blu-Ray standard is not supported. That standard will likely be supported with the new revision of the PS4 which will come out in early 2017.
Back to top Go down
Anfang

Anfang

PostSubject: Re: (Video, Board, Card,..) Games People Play (Video, Board, Card,..) Games People Play - Page 2 EmptyFri May 20, 2016 8:00 am

I use pirated repacks which come with simple installers which install all the DLCs and that stuff automatically but you usually can't use multiplayer, at least not conveniently and you can't have it all on day one.
Back to top Go down
AutSider

AutSider

PostSubject: Re: (Video, Board, Card,..) Games People Play (Video, Board, Card,..) Games People Play - Page 2 EmptyTue May 24, 2016 3:41 pm

PC > PS4 > Xbox

Is it even possible to run pirated games on the newest generation consoles? Buying original copies of games is very expensive.

On PC not only can you easily pirate any game you want, you can also use simulator programs to simulate a console, so you can play PS1 and PS2 games on PC, by now probably PS3 too, and of course a lot of games from other consoles. Not to mention numerous other things you can do on PC aside from gaming that can't be done on consoles.
Back to top Go down
Anfang

Anfang

PostSubject: Re: (Video, Board, Card,..) Games People Play (Video, Board, Card,..) Games People Play - Page 2 EmptyTue May 24, 2016 4:42 pm

Autsider wrote:
Is it even possible to run pirated games on the newest generation consoles? Buying original copies of games is very expensive.

There is something software based in the works for PS4 and there is a chance that if one buys a console just now with Firmware version 3.5 or lower, that there will be pirated games available in the future but nothing released yet, as far as I know. And of course, one has to avoid going online and getting the mandatory online firmware updates which would fix potential security holes. All in all quite a lot of effort and no guarantees.

I have a quite old Windows PC (Athlon X2 5200+) which I use for playing old games up to Europa Universalis IV and I've been thinking about building a new one. It would be a near silent PC with an i5 with integrated graphics and potentially buying one of the upcoming Polaris cards from AMD as a future upgrade.

I have seen a video recently about the why the future of AMD looks actually quite bright and Nvidia's actually not so much in terms of graphic cards.
That Scotsman likes AMD over NVIDIA but I find that he's making good arguments -

Back to top Go down
Jarno

Jarno

PostSubject: Re: (Video, Board, Card,..) Games People Play (Video, Board, Card,..) Games People Play - Page 2 EmptyTue May 24, 2016 6:55 pm

Just getting SSD changes everything drastically, my PC reboots in 30 seconds if not less. Say goodbye to the loading screen.

What makes PC better is that you can mod your games as you like...Modding communities are very dedicated so the mods do not feel amateurish, they complete the game and make it better than original. (Not only making new content, but fixing interface and game balance etc.)

Steam workshop has great mods, I doubt they would have removed this if it was under different name. Paradox is a Swedish company so what do you expect.
http://www.polygon.com/2016/5/24/11760696/paradox-removes-discriminatory-mod-that-removed-non-white-races-from-stellaris

I need a similar mod for XCOM...In Enemy Within I had only a mod that upgraded visuals/graphics and removed some unnecessary animations.
Back to top Go down
Jarno

Jarno

PostSubject: Re: (Video, Board, Card,..) Games People Play (Video, Board, Card,..) Games People Play - Page 2 EmptyTue May 24, 2016 7:02 pm

Anfang wrote:

I have seen a video recently about the why the future of AMD looks actually quite bright and Nvidia's actually not so much in terms of graphic cards.
That Scotsman likes AMD over NVIDIA but I find that he's making good arguments -

http://tech.firstpost.com/news-analysis/nvidias-latest-drivers-can-cause-your-pc-to-stop-responding-303291.html

Nvidia drivers have been causing a lot of trouble for a some time now so I wouldn't mind changing to AMD...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: (Video, Board, Card,..) Games People Play (Video, Board, Card,..) Games People Play - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

(Video, Board, Card,..) Games People Play
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 12Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12  Next